Saturday, August 21, 2010

Do you think it's okay for married couples to take separate vacations occasionally?

Does it help or hurt the relationship???Do you think it's okay for married couples to take separate vacations occasionally?
Without knowing the reason you are asking, just as a general answer I would say yes. Sometimes people in marriages lose their individual identities by focusing too much on their partner and ';being a couple';. Healthy people have good self-identities. Occasional time away from each other can help each of you focus on 'you', and the things that you enjoy. When you get back together, having new things to discuss and talk about can remind each of you why you are attracted to the other.


On the other hand (again not knowing the reason behind your question) it could be a sign that things are not going so well (which only you yourself know). A ';need to get away'; could indicate one of you is feeling suffocated.


Good communication leads to trust, and you should be able to trust that time spent apart wont be a bad thing.Do you think it's okay for married couples to take separate vacations occasionally?
It completely depends on the situation--there is nothing inherently good or bad about it.





Some couples who are very happily married find that they both have fuller and richer lives by giving each other the space to take separate vacations and pursue non-shared interests.





In other cases, separate vacations are nothing more than an extension of an already-distant relationship--and it's not the vacation that's the issue at all, it's the marriage.





For example, I'm happily married. If my husband came to me and said hey, why don't we take separate vacations next year--I'll go to Kenya and visit my friend and you go take your son backpacking across Europe--why, that would be just fine with me.





On the other hand, I have a friend who is extremely unhappy in her marriage, probably on the verge of divorce. She and her husband vacation separately (albeit with guilt and arguments surrounding the matter) because they really can't stand each other and the idea of being in close quarters for an extended period is more than either can bear. So it's either separate vacations or none at all.
It honestly depends on the two people involved. My partner and I couldn't imagine taking different vacations, but that's because of the type of people we are.





Only you can judge if it's helping or hurting your relationship. Every relationship is different, and what may work for one couple doesn't work for another.





If you were away from each other all the time, then I'd say you should try to spend more time with each other. It's only occasionally, so if it's not effecting your relationship badly, and you're both okay with it, then why change it?
I think it depends on the couple. If both people are okay with the idea, it's perfectly fine. That being said, I'm not sure that I'd be okay with my husband taking a vacation on his own. Traveling for business is one thing, but leaving me with four children while he goes off (for more than a few hours) just isn't going to happen, but obviously that's my situation. If your not okay with it, you need to be honest and respect (and discuss) those feelings and let your partner know if that's the case. It is one of those issues that can hurt a relationship if not addressed honestly.
I think it depends on the people in the relationship. I have a friend that has been married for 33 years any pretty much any REASONABLE thing she wants to do, she can do. Her husband loves her and wants to be happy. Now I am married to someone that if I were to ask to go on vacation without him, he would question my reasons for WHY ... Did I not love him anymore, etc. The bottom line for me is a marriage should be about supporting one another within the relationship and growing and pursuing common goals as well as individual goals. Being married is a FOREVER thing (at least that's what it's meant to be at the alter). Making something work forever means growing and changing together and sometimes that means doing things on your own. If your spouse does not think you should take this vacation, examine the REAL reasons why and go from there.
Ahhhh, I can't imagine ever WANTING to vacation separately. A holiday is a time to relax - what better person to do it with than my wife.





I can't see how it can HELP the relationship, unless it is about to break apart, and a separate holiday would give both people time to think.
Yes, it's fine. BUT, only under very limited conditions. I myself have taken vacations without my wife. But, that's because I love wilderness camping, and my wife doesn't. She knows the things I see and deal with when I'm in the wilderness, and she just is too fearful to go. She knows we sometimes have bears come right into camp, and has seen pics of a moose trampling our tent. She worries when I go, but just for my safety- cuz she knows I'm not out seeing other women. Where I go, there are no women within 40 miles.
Well, I view my marriage as both of us being ';one flesh.'; We've made a commitment and we're tied together. I couldn't imagine taking a separate vacation from him.


Part of building your marriage is spending quality time together. I would recommend a vacation where each of you can do something that the other enjoys (eg. you like shopping, he likes golf, you go to a resort where there's good shopping and golf) and you can do those things together.
i believe it will help the relationship to take at least a week break separately. plus you need to build trust with each other and it will help you to give and get trust if you do it like that and you will also realize how much important each one of you to each other when you werent together
You're asking two questions, so here are my two answers





1) Yes


2) Depends on the individuals





If you have a reason for asking (e.g., your husband wants to fly off to Florida for a week with his old frat buddies) it would probably be more useful for to ask about it in a more personal manner. If you're just asking for generic opinions, well, you now have mine, but I don't know how meaningful it is.
1. Yes it's okay, I do go vacations without my husband, sometimes alone, sometimes with my friends (al females)


2. Whether it helps or hurts the relationship is really case to case, it depends how much each couple trust one anther
We've never had a problem with it. Sometime we go on trips together, and sometimes I'll go away by myself for a few days. I'll go to my parents' cottage, or up to my friend's place. I also enjoy wilderness camping, and my wife does not. She doesn't mind if I hike into the bush with my friends for a few days. And after those few days...I can't wait to see my wife again.
It depends on the couple. I have a friend who goes on a golf outing with his buddies for a week every year. His wife stays home and takes care of the dogs (they have 5), and works. Then she goes off for a week and he takes care of things and works.





They adore each other.
yes, it's ok. as long as both parties are comfortable with it. It helps the relationship bc the happier and more independent each partner is, the more they have to bring to the relationship.
We have a ';blended family';, and it's impossible to see everyone, every summer!


So, we go different directions a couple times a year!


And, it is good for us!


and good for our families!
Yes it is ok and no it does not hurt the relationship. In fact sometime it helps it to be away froml each other for a short time.
I think married couples need time apart occasionally! A few days off sounds good. I think if you have a solid relationship it definitely helps!
sure as long as you both have separate vacations and vacations together. And you both are okay with that
best moments are whn couples spend tym 2getha unless if there is somethn lyk business vacation
yes

No comments:

Post a Comment